Listen to this article
You can easily renew Indian Passport in USA after 10 years with VFS Global.
Step by step process for re-issue of the passport with the Indian embassy in New York, Houston (Texas), Washington DC, Atlanta (Georgia), Chicago (Illinois), and SFO (San Francisco, California) Indian consulate.
This article will discuss:
- Passport Renewal Process Snapshot
- Processing Time
- Documents Required
- Self Sworn Affidavit
- Registration Steps – Indian Govt Website
- Passport Application Steps – Indian Govt Site
- Print Passport Application
- #1 Adult Passport
- #2 Child Passport
- Notarize these documents
Passport Renewal Process Snapshot
- Create a Passport application on the Indian government Website.
- Create an account on VFS global, pay the shipping fee.
- Collect documents and mail to VFS global.
- VFS verifies documents, sends them to the Indian embassy.
- Indian embassy triggers Police verification in India.
- Indian embassy issues passport.
- VFS sends the new and old passport to you.
Your Indian passport renewal will take 3-6 weeks if the last passport was issued in India.
You can get a new passport in 10 days if your last passport was issued by the Indian Embassy in the USA.
You can apply for renewal 1 year or 365 days before expiry. We recommend applying 6 weeksbefore the final expiry to avoid issues with delays in processing at the Indian embassy.
#1 Expiring Passport
Original and most recent one passport is required to be sent. All other OLD passports, if any, are not required.
Total of 2 photos with size 2×2 Inch are required for passport renewal.
The photo should have white background and not off-white.
You can get passport size photo online or at Sams Club, Costco, CVS, or Walgreens.
#3 NRI Government passport renewal application form
The passport application form will be provided by the Indian government site for printing. Detailed steps are given below.
#4 Highest qualification degree
Indian embassy requires your education details to decide if ECR Stamp is required on your passport or not.
We recommended sending a copy of the Highest Educational Qualification Degree like an MCA or MBA. It is not required but there is no harm in sending.
Check if you need ECNR or ECR?
#5 USA Address proof
You can safely opt to get the USA address printed on an Indian passport. There is no harm.
- Rental Lease Agreement (Month to Month is acceptable) OR Home Mortgage bill – Should not have expired at the time of submission. Rental agreement with future start date?
- Any utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) –Must NOT be older than 3 months. Home Internet wifi bill and Mobile bill are NOT accepted.
- Driver’s License OR State ID –Front and back both are required. A Learning / temporary driving license is accepted.
- US bank statement is NOT a valid address proof.
#6 Indian Address Proof
Indian address proof is required if you want to add or change the current Indian Address printed on your current passport.
Does the current passport have an Indian hostel as a permanent address?
- Any Indian utility bill (Electricity/ gas/ water/ landline telephone bill) – Must NOT be older than 3 months
- Aadhar Card
- Indian Drivers license
- Recent Bank Statement from Indian Government bank. The front page is required. Should have an affixed photograph. Check a sample of SBI’s passbook with affixed and stamped photographs here.
#7 Change of Appearance / Signature Form
You should sign and print this change of appearance form if you are applying after 10 years.
Everybody’s presence changes a little as you age.
#8 VFS Document checklist
Download the VFS document checklist here. Print and fill it as you collect documents.
#9 Annexure ‘E’
Create Annexure E Affidavit Online >
#10 Copy of Passport
Photocopy of First 5 pages of YOUR passport + last 2 pages. You can use an app-based scanner.
- First page with Photo, then page numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- Page number 34, 35, 36, and last page with the address.
- Total of 10 pages.
#11 Marriage Certificate (Optional)
Are you are Married and want to add your Spouse name to the new passport?
- Include Spouse’s Passport’s front (page with picture) and back page (with address) OR
- Spouse Green Card
#12 US Legal Status
- Current Valid US Visa (including dependent Visa) OR
- I-797 OR
- Green card OR
- Employment Authorization Card (EAD) or
- I- 797 approval notice or
- Valid I-20
You can even use the USCIS receipt number copy.
- US Visa – B1/B2 is NOT a valid visa for passport reissue.
- i94 is not a valid Proof either.
#13 Birth Certificate / School Leaving Certificate
#14 Self Sworn Affidavit
#15 Police Report (Only if Passport lost or stolen)
#16 Additional Documents for Child Passport
Create Annexure D with Our App>
- Annexure D signed by both mother and father.
- Mother – Current Valid US Visa OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice.
- Mother – Passport first (Photo) page and last page (address page).
- Father – Current Valid US Visa OR I-797 OR Green card OR Employment Authorization Card or I- 797 approval notice.
- Father – Passport first (Photo) page and last page (address) page.
Self Sworn Affidavit
Here is the self sworn affidavit template to be printed on plain A4 size white paper.
Create Self Sworn Affidavit for Indian Address Online >
Indian address is always required as you hold Indian passport.
You can give your parent’s or relatives Indian address by mentioning it on a plain piece of paper and then sign it. It will work as a self-sworn affidavit.
Registration Steps – Indian Govt Website
Start passport application here on Indian government website.
You will need to register for each person separately on this website. We suggest using this website on your laptop or PC as the site is messed up on mobile.
#Step 1 Click the ‘Register’ button and fill in the details.
#Step 2 An email is sent to you for verifying your email. Click the link in the email to activate your online account.
#Step 3 You will be asked to log in again after you have activated your account. Log in again and then this screen will be visible:
Select the option “Apply for Ordinary passport – Application for fresh passport/Re-issue of Passport (Blue cover passport)“
Passport Application Steps – Indian Govt Site
#Step 1 Start Passport application by filling ‘passport type‘ section.
These are the sample values that will apply to most people.
- Choose ‘Re-issue of passport‘.
- Choose ‘Change in personal particular‘ and then select ‘address‘ if you are changing your address from Indian to US or a different address within the USA. You can select more options if you want to change more things on your passport.
- Choose ‘Validity expired within 3 years/Due to expire‘.
- Select Type of application as ‘Normal‘. For tatkal, you should have a pre-authorization from the Indian embassy over email.
- Select ‘Type of Passport Booklet‘ as ’36 pages’. Most people only need 36 pages unless you travel a lot and your passport pages get full within a couple of years.
#Step 2 Click next and fill ‘Applicant details‘. Click next once done.
Once you click ‘Save’, your application is saved and an ‘Application reference number’ (ARN) is generated and shown on top of the current page:
#Step 3 Family Details
Enter family details like Father, mother and spouse name.
Spouse name is mandatory if you have select the marital status as ‘married’.
#Step 4: Applicant Address Details
Your presence at an Indian address is not mandatory. Indian embassy understands that you are physically present outside India.
It is mandatory to provide at least one Indian address in the form. It will be used for police verification. You can give your parent or relative’s Indian address.
You can choose these combinations:
|Passport Print Address||Other Address|
In this example image, we are opting to print US address on the passport and then providing an Indian address as ‘other address’:
- Indian mobile number should be valid as someone will call on it for police verification.
- Choose the correct Indian police station as per your Indian address to avoid delays in your application.
- Your relative should be able to vouch for you when they call.
- As it is expected in most places, they may have to give a nominal amount as ‘chai paani‘ to the police officer. The normal amount that most people have reported to have paid is about INR 1000 to 2000. They expect it as you are earning in Dollars 🙂
#Step 5 Enter emergency contact details
We suggest providing details of the person who you know in the USA. You can provide anyone from India too. It’s your choice.
#Step 6 Previous Passport Details
Enter details and click next.
#Step 7: Other Details
Enter details and click next.
#Step 8 Passport Review
Enter details and click next.
#Step 9 Passport preview
Step 9 shows a nice preview of the new passport’s biometric page. Verify your information and click next.
#Step 10 Verify and Submit
The last step is to verify all the details and then submit your application. You can make changes before clicking ‘Submit‘ button.
Your application is locked once you click ‘Submit‘ and changes cannot be made.
Print Passport Application
Once you have submitted, you can print the application from the Applicant Home page.
You should print the passport application on one side of the white paper only. Leave the back side blank. Do not double print.
You should sign the printed application with black or blue pen only.
VFS Global Website – Fee Payment & Shipping
VFS’s website and the instructions are half baked and it seems they have been given the contract at the last moment.
But, the problem is that there is no other way to register either (at least we could not find any).
VFS services are used for postal Envelope, Payment & shipping your documents.
#Step 1 Visit the VFS global website and create an application there.
This is also not a mobile friendly website. So, we suggest to use a desktop.
Select ‘Passport‘ box (Blue color) and then you will see a new form open up:
Click the button ‘Proceed‘.
#Step 2 Fee Details
The total fee for Indian passport renewal is $92.90 including the VFS service fee of $15.90.
Now, once you click the ‘proceed‘ button, you will be asked to register and activate the registration by email. Once you are done, you will have to REDO the whole VFS application. Amazing!
#Step 3 Click ‘Create new application’.
Enter the details again on this page after logging in to VFS portal system.
#Step 4 Click ‘proceed’ button and you will be asked to add a customer.
#Step 5 Click ‘Add customer‘ and you will see this screen where you will be asked to once again enter all your information.
Make sure you enter the Indian government website’s ARN number in the ‘Govt reference number’ field:
Click ‘Submit‘ button.
#Step 5a Many people have complained that they are not able to see the ‘select courier service’ after adding a customer.
Try this as it worked for us:
- Log out and Log in again to VFS Global portal.
- Click the ‘retrieve incomplete application‘ button (blue color) given on the left-hand side menu.
- Use your registered email (used to register on the VFS site) and click search.
- You should now be able to see the ‘Select courier‘ option on the customer list screen as shown in our next step below.
- If you are still not able to see the ‘select courier service‘ option, then click the ‘Edit‘ link given in the ‘Actions‘ column next to your name list. This should show the courier service option.
#Step 6 Select Courier Service
You reach the customer list screen.
Note down the VFS reference number. This will be required to search your application if you are automatically logged out.
We recommend VFS’s shipping option. They use FedEx and the cost is $30 for two way shipping.
If you decide to use your own courier service, do not forget to send a pre-paid envelope for return shipping.
- USPS prepaid labels have an expiry date and hence are not accepted by VFS.
- You can use UPS but the prepaid label with UPS Store address is not acceptable.
The total cost would be $127.20 including the Fedex shipping both ways.
#Step 7 Courier Service Address
Enter your own mailing address here and not the VFS global’s address.
The USA address on your prepaid shipping label should match the proof of address document submitted.
#Step 8 Confirm Application
Click the ‘confirm application’ button and then you will be automatically taken to a payment site named ‘Adyen.com’.
#Step 9 Download Courier Labels
Once the online payment is completed, you can download the shipping labels and send your application package.
Self Attest & Notary
#1 Adult Passport
Self attest means that you should sign yourself on the photocopy. No notary is required.
Self Attest these documents:
- Your passport copy of the First Five and the Last two pages.
- Indian Address proof (If Applicable for your case).
- Copy of Marriage Certificate (ONLY If you are married).
- Spouse Passport copy (ONLY If you are married).
- Birth Certificate / School Leaving Certificate.
- Police Report (Only if Passport lost or stolen).
#2 Child Passport
A parent need to sign along with your child.
- If Child age is greater than 5 years, he should write his/her name them-self.
- If your child is less than 5 years, he/she should use his/her thumb print.
Both parent and child need to self-attest. Each parent should self-attest their own document. Get your child to sign all documents too.
The mother should sign her own and Father his own documents. Mother cannot sign the father’s document and vice versa.
For general document (like forms), any one parent can sign.
- CHILD’s – Passport copies of the first five and last two pages
- CHILD’s – Birth Certificate
- US Address proof – Utility bill or driving license or rental lease agreement on any one of parent’s name.
- Indian Address proof – Utility bill or driving license or rental lease agreement on any one of the parent’s names.
- Mother’s – Color copy of passport pages that you have photocopied.
- Father’s – Color copy of passport pages that you have photocopied.
- Mother’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- Father’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
- ANNEXURE ‘D’ – Affidavit for Applying for Minor passport by parents
- Annexure ‘E’ – Specimen Declaration of the applicant on a plain paper
- CHILD’s – Color copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval notice.
Notarize these documents
- USA Address proof – color copy
- Self Sworn Affidavit (Optional notary but we strongly recommend)
- Change of Appearance Form.Is AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE IN APPEARANCE mandatory if mine has not changed?
- Annexure E
- Annexure D (for Child Passport)
- Copy of Visa or Green Card or I797 approval/pending notice.
Package, Mailing & Tracking
- Arrange documents in the order of the VFS document checklist with a checklist on top.
- Paste photo
- Stick one photo on the Indian government passport application form.
- Stick the second photo on ‘Change of appearance form’.
- (Optional) Use a small letter-style envelope to keep the passport just to have an extra layer of protection.
- Original Expiring Passport.
- Use a paper clip, paper pins, or a binder paper clip instead to tie all the documents together. Do NOT use a stapler.
Visit the FedEx office, pick up the FREE envelope (included in the shipping fees you paid to VFS), and send it with VFS’s FedEx shipping label within 15 days of generating the label.
NOTE: No need to send a return envelope. It will be taken care of by VFS if you opted for VFS shipping.
We have documented the process and VFS application refund policy separately here.
Is ECR or ECNR Proof Required for Indian Passport Renewal in the USA?
The ECR, ECNR proof is not required for Indian passport renewal in the USA.
The ECR/ECNR status is available on page 2 of the Indian passport.
If it is not there or nothing is mentioned in your passport, you can select option ECNR (Emigration check not required) on point 13.
Can I send ECR, ECNR Proof even if it is not required?
You can send a photocopy of your highest educational qualification degree like MCA (Masters in Computer Applications) for ECNR proof.
If you do not attach any proof and your old passport did not have the ECR stamp, you will automatically be considered eligible for ECNR.
No notarization needed. Just Self-attest with your signature and clearly mark the photocopy with “For ECNR – Documentary proof”.
Where to Get Indian Passport Photo in the USA?
Costco or Sam’s club charge approximately $4.96 for 2 passport photo.
Where Can I get Free Notary for Indian Passport Renewal?
Your local city library, Bank (like Bank of America, Chase), your own office are the FREE notary options for Indian passport renewal.
USPS, FedEx, and other local mail shops would charge around $5+ per page of the notary.
Is Aadhar number mandatory for Indian passport renewal in the USA?
Aadhar number is not mandatory for Indian passport renewal in the USA.
Is Spouse’s name mandatory for married people?
The Indian passport application website does make it mandatory to provide a spouse’s name if you select your marital status as ‘Married’.
A:Please visit VFS Global Website (https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind/apply-passport) and apply online for "Re-issue of Passport" under Passport already expired category.What are the documents required for passport 2022? ›
Documents Required for Indian Passport
- Passport application form.
- Proof of address.
- Proof of date of birth.
- Documentary proof for any one of the Non-ECR categories.
Aadhaar letter/card or the e-Aadhaar (an electronically generated letter from the website of UIDAI), as the case may be, will be accepted as Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Photo-Identity (POI) for availing passport related services.What are the documents required for renewal of passport? ›
Original Valid CNIC/NICOP with a photocopy. Previous Passport in original with its photocopy, (if issued). NOC in case of a Government Servant. Foreign Passport along with its photocopy, for Dual-Nationals only.
- Proof of age.
- Residential address proof.
- Identity proof.
- 2 passport-sized photographs of the applicant.
- Attested photocopies of the first and last pages of your existing passport booklet.
- Original existing booklet.
3 to 4 business days (excluding VFS's processing time), if the Police Verification Report (PVR) is clear and all documents submitted are in order. If the Police Verification Report (PVR) is not clear or pending, the processing time will be approximately 30 days or more (excluding VFS's processing time).Is PAN card required for passport renewal? ›
Is it important to submit PAN Card as well as Aadhar Card or will only one of the documents suffice? Both documents have to be submitted as the authorities will require them both to check your eligibility for a passport.How long does it take to get a new passport 2022? ›
|Routine||6 to 9 weeks|
|Expedited||3 to 5 weeks|
|Expedited at Agency||Must have international travel within 14 calendar days|
Acceptable Address Proof For Passport Application
From the list below, any one out of 13 address proof documents can be used. Applicant's current and valid ration card (If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the given categories).
Bring all supporting documentation (originals and copies) If you haven't paid your visa fee online, you can pay your fees once you get to the centre. At the centre, you will also need to submit your fingerprints and photograph. This is known as biometric information collection.
You will need to submit your original passport at the time of lodging your application. It is recommended that you complete all required travel and then submit your application for a new passport as, once your passport application is registered for renewal, you will not be able to use your old passport.Can I use US address for Indian passport renewal in USA? ›
Indian address proof for passport renewal is only required if you want the Indian address to be printed on your new passport. If you are okay with a US address printed on a renewed passport, you do not need to provide any Indian address proof. Recent Bank Statement from Indian Government bank.Do I need to upload documents for passport renewal? ›
It is necessary to carry all original documents at the PSK. However, original documents are returned to the applicant. According to the list of documents required for a passport, soft copies are necessary to upload with the application. It is necessary to carry all original documents at the PSK.Is birth certificate required for passport renewal in India? ›
Anyone applying for a passport who was born on or after January 26, 1989 must show their birth certificate as identification in accordance with the Passport Rules of 1980. A new law now allows other sorts of documents to be used in place of birth certificates.How long does VFS take to process? ›
Applications are processed in the order of receipt. Processing usually takes 15 business days from receipt by the Embassy of a complete application and may take longer during peak times and in exceptional circumstances.How much time VFS take to return passport? ›
If you were advised on the day of your interview that your application is successful, you should allow approximately 7 to 10 working days for your application to be processed. If additional information or documentation was required in your case, you must allow additional time.How fast can Indian passport be renewed? ›
Passport Renewal Process in India
Once you've submitted your application for renewal of passport, it generally takes lesser amount of time than a first-time fresh passport application — four to six weeks.
No, Aadhar is not mandatory. You should have other valid documents to prove your identity, address and date of birth. You may visit Document advisor : Documents Required : Fresh Passport link to find out the documents you need submit based on your status.Is Aadhar card mandatory for passport renewal? ›
Although Aadhaar has become mandatory for many services, it is still an optional document when it comes to the renewal of a passport at PSK. Aadhaar can be used either as proof of date of birth or address. However, it is not the only document that can be used as proof.Is full Aadhar card required for passport? ›
Is Aadhaar card mandatory for passport? Not really. Passport needs only 1 document as a Proof of Address.
Delivery to us: Purchase Priority Mail Express from the United States Postal Service for faster shipping of your application to us. The price for this service varies depending on the area of the country. Return to you: Pay $18.32 for 1-2 day delivery. This means you will receive your passport 1-2 days after we send it.How do I renew my passport in 2022? ›
- Schedule an appointment online.
- Accomplish the Online Application Form.
- Settle the Processing Fee.
- Head to the DFA Site you picked.
- Claim your new passport.
A Home Office spokesperson told Travel Gossip the Passport Office provides an expedited service for applicants who can prove they are due to travel within the next two weeks.What is acceptable proof of address? ›
Any one of the following valid documents reflecting your name and physical residential address will be sufficient as proof of residence: Utility bill, e.g. municipal water and lights account or property managing agent statement. Bank statement. Municipal councillor's letter.Which document is best for address proof? ›
For proof of Address
Income Tax PAN card Income Tax Assessment Order Photo Credit Card Credit card statement (not older than last three months) Smart card issued by CSD, Defense/Paramilitary Telephone Bill of fixed line (not older than last three months).
Proof of address can be one of the following documents: Water, electricity, gas, telephone, or Internet bill. Credit card bill or statement. Bank statement. Bank reference letter.What documents do I need to bring to VFS? ›
Bring a printed copy of your visa application, as well as a valid passport or travel document with at least 2 pages that are blank on both sides. If you haven't paid your visa fee online, you can pay your fees once you get to the centre. At the centre, you will also need to submit your fingerprints and photograph.How do I submit my passport to VFS? ›
In person – You'll have to bring your original passport, passport bio page (2 copies), along with the passport request letter to the Visa Application Centre. To submit your passport at the Visa Application Centre, you'll have to pay a service charge for Package Transmission.What are the documents required for VFS? ›
Valid passport or travel documents
Current original passport with an expiry date of at least three months after expiry date of the visa and must have at least two (2) blank pages. I If you renewed the passport less than a year, submit your previous passport as well (copy of every page with a visa or a stamp on it).
You can only use the valid passport for traveling purposes, but you can use the expired passport to prove your citizenship once you enter the country If they want proof of your citizenship. You might get admonished by the officer of that other country of your citizenship especially if it is the United States.
Old passport booklet: The applicant is also required to submit his/her expired passport booklet before availing a new passport. Self-attested copy of first and last pages of the booklet: The individual is needed to submit self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the old passport booklet.How can I renew my expired Indian passport online? ›
Login to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the registered Login Id. Click "Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport" link. Fill in the required details in the form and submit. Click the "Pay and Schedule Appointment" link on the "View Saved/Submitted Applications" screen to schedule an appointment.Can Indian passport be renewed online from USA? ›
All the Indian Passport services are handled by VFS Global (https://visa.vfsglobal.com/usa/en/ind). Individual Indian consulates will no longer accept passport related services directly. All communications and applications associated with Indian passport renewal must be through VFS Global .How do I renew my passport after it expires? ›
To make an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency to submit your application in person, call 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793 Monday through Friday, from 8 AM to 10 PM ET. The appointment line is closed on weekends and federal holidays.Does Indian passport renewal in USA require police verification? ›
Is Police Verification Required to Renew an Indian Passport in the US? Police Verification (PV) will not occur if you have submitted the passport renewal application from the US before or within three years after the expiry of your old passport.What happens if Indian passport expires while abroad? ›
In all cases you would have to apply to the Indian Embassy or Consulate in that particular country for renewal of your passport.Can I travel to India without surrendering Indian passport? ›
As per the Passports Act 1967, it is mandatory for all Indian passport holders to surrender their passports to the nearest Indian Mission/Post immediately after acquisition of foreign nationality. Misuse of Indian passports constitutes an offence under Section 12(1A) of the Passports Act 1967.How many days after expiry Indian passport can be renewed? ›
1) A new passport can be issued on the expiry, or up to one year before expiry of any passport, which had an initial validity of 10 years. It is necessary to have a valid visa on the previous passport. If a passport is renewed after one year from the date of its expiry, an affidavit (Form 1) is to be filled.Where can I renew my Indian passport in USA? ›
You can easily renew Indian Passport in USA after 10 years with VFS Global. Step by step process for re-issue of the passport with the Indian embassy in New York, Houston (Texas), Washington DC, Atlanta (Georgia), Chicago (Illinois), and SFO (San Francisco, California) Indian consulate.Can I travel with an expired Indian passport in USA? ›
An Emergency Certificate (EC) is a one-way travel document which is issued in following situations: (a) validity of Indian passport has expired and applicant has no valid/ legal visa status to live in USA.
You should apply for a passport renewal if your passport is expiring or has recently expired. You must renew your passport within 5 years of the date it expired. If you wait longer than that, you'll have to use the same procedure as a first-time passport applicant.Can I travel with an expired passport? ›
An expired passport is invalid. If you are traveling back to the United States on a direct flight, you can fly with an expired passport. However, this only applies if you get the go-ahead from the relevant embassy. However, you cannot fly out of the country with an expired passport.How long is a passport valid after expiration? ›
My passport is expired, is there a grace period to renew it? Yes, you have five years from the expiration date to renew your passport as long as it was a 10-year passport (does not include temporary or child passports).